Samsung Galaxy S3: How to Take Picture Using Volume Key on Android 4.3

The recent update Android 4.3 brings some new options to improve the user experience of using this phone. Though, in some cases, the new option brought by this operating system alleged by some user as the "problem" due to the user yet not familiar with it, such as the flash notification option which will make the camera flashes when receiving new email or calls or when the alarm goes off. This option surely will useful for the low-vision or deaf users where the flash light will make them more easier to know the notification rather than the notification on the screen. Unfortunately, lot of users didn't like with this option. They said that the flash light is too bright and really bothered them.

See also: How to Fix Camera Flashes when Alarm Goes Off in Android 4.3 in Samsung Galaxy S3

Aside from the flash notification option, Android 4.3 also brings new option under Camera app settings which will allow you to take the picture using the Volume key. This option will helpful for the users who wants to take a picture using the physical button in certain condition, such as when they're diving and wants to take picture under water. As we all know that the waterproof cases sometimes bring the difficulty to the user to take picture using the on-screen camera button, but now with this new option the user will be able to take picture using the Volume key.


How to set Volume key as the camera key on Android 4.3?
By default, the Volume key is used to control the zoom on Camera app. But, in Android 4.3 you can assign the Volume key as the camera key by following the steps below:
  1. Open Camera app.
  2. Tap the Cogwheel icon to enter the settings menu.
  3. Scroll down to find Volume key option, then tap it.
  4. Select The camera key option.
  5. Go back to the camera screen.
  6. Now you're ready to take picture using the Volume up key or the Volume down key.

For the record, indeed in certain case taking a picture using the physical button is helpful but it will also increase the shake that will produce not focused image. So, when you decide to take a picture using the Volume key, make sure to hold the phone as smooth as possible to get the best result. Well, hope this helps :)

5 comments:

  1. hi, I have a galaxy s3 and I used your instructions as to how to turn the volume key into my camera shot Key, but I cannot find the option that you're talking about, volume key, its not in my menu. My volume key seems to be hard coded as the zoom keys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also have the same issue with trying to change the volume control to camera trip. That option doesn't exist on my S3 either. Think we got ripped off by Samsung on this one! I think I got burned by being an early adopter of the S3 when it came out and I got it through T-Mobile

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I dont have that option either on my S3. there is no volume Key option under my settings for camera. Please help because I need my side button to take pictures! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi All,
    Thanks for coming.
    And I'm so sorry to say that I was forgot to write that this option is only available in some custom ROM, not the official one. If you want, you can install one of custom ROM that has the Volume key option in Camera app from here:http://www.teamandroid.com/2013/12/01/update-galaxy-s3-i9300-android-43-smart-phone-revolution-jelly-bean-custom-rom/2/
    If you don't want, you can try to use third-party Camera app that has an option to use Volume key as the camera key(eg.VolShutter Camera app).
    FYI, in my Galaxy S4 with Android 4.4, there's a Volume key option in Camera app. So, lets hope that this option also will be available in Android 4.4 for Galaxy S3.
    Again, I'm so sorry if you were disappointed with this unclear post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Galaxy s3 can'n show blutooth selfie stick

    ReplyDelete

Hi the insiders,
Thanks for coming and I hope you can get something useful here.
Before submitting your comment to ask about an issue, please make sure to provide information as much as possible (at least write your model number and Android version) and describe the problem clearly.
Also, since all comments will be moderated, all comments with irrelevant links(if any) or contain with offensive/harsh word will be deleted.
The last, if you have a question and can't find the relevant article, please feel free to reach me through the Contact us page. I'll be more than happy to reply the email and answer the question :)